MAPSS was established in 1973, the Minnesota Association of Professional Soil Scientists (MAPSS) is the only organization representing the professional interests of soil scientists in Minnesota. MAPSS promotes the understanding and wise use of Minnesota's soil resources. Our members consist of professional soil scientists, consultants, researchers, teachers and students, as well as those who just have an interest in soils.
Benefits of MAPSS Membership
As a member of MAPSS you receive discounts on two MAPSS events each year. These are great opportunities to network with other soil scientists from all walks of life in the upper Midwest. You will also be the first to read the MAPSS newsletter and the first to receive job announcements!
What We Do
support activities that provide continuing education for Professional Soil Scientists and promote the understanding of soils. MAPSS offers:
- Summer meetings where we go outside to look at soils, landscapes, geology, soil use, etc.
- Winter meetings, held the first Friday in December, are where we provide a forum for speakers to talk about advances in soil science and technology.
- Business meetings at our summer and winter meetings in order to keep members up to date with committees activities.
As a member you will have the opportunity to:
- Become an officer of MAPSS.
- Participate on a variety of committees.
- Be recognized as "Soil Scientist of the Year."
- The chance to earn continuing education for licensed Professional Soil Scientists.
MAPSS 2015 Scholarship
interest in the profession of soil science. The discipline of soil science along with related disciplines
such as soil conservation or natural resources will be considered for this scholarship. Two individuals will receive $800 each. This scholarship was first offered in 2011 in memory of Laurie Brown, a longtime MAPSS member. Applicants must provide an application form, 150 word essay, and college transcripts.